This tutorial on earring making for beginners is an excellent place to start if you would like to venture into earring making.
I will start with the basic tools you need to have and then show the supplies and simple wire loops technique you need to make 2 very easy and beautiful designs every beginner can start with.
The first earring design is made using charms. These are simple pair of earrings, and can be customized in many ways by simply using different types of charms. You can even make this without any special jewelry making tools.
The second design is also a perfect idea when it comes to earring making for beginners, and in this design, I will show you how to use simple looping technique to make pretty and elegant pearl earrings.
Table of contents
- Tools you need
- Basic supplies to make earrings:
- Design 1 – Easy Charm Earrings
- Design 2 – Easy pearl earring making for beginners
- Like these earrings designs? Here are my other easy DIY jewelry projects you might want to check out
Tools you need
Earring making for beginners will be a lot easier with these basic must-have tools:
- Flat nose pliers
- Round nose pliers
- Wire cutter
These are easily available in any local craft store and make jewelry making an easy process.
Nevertheless, you can still make your own handmade earrings without these essential tools and I will show you how in my first diy earrings design.
Basic supplies to make earrings:
These are the commonly used supplies in making earrings, and eventhough not all will be used in the earrings designs on this page.
- Jewelry Wire – These jewelry making wires are often sold in spools and come in different thickness and hardness (gauge). You can find them in gold, silver and bronze. Some as special for beading and called beading wire.
- Jump rings – These are wires that are formed into small circles and used to connect charms and beads in making jewelry. Jump rings come is various different sizes and are all commonly within 1cm in diameter. They also come in various thickness.
- Head pins – These are long pins with a small stud at one end. Headpins are often used to make bead dangles and the studs on one end help to hold the beads.
- Eye pins – Eye pins are also similar to headpins, however, instead of a stud on one end, they have a loop. Eyepins are useful for making dangles that can be attached on both sides.
- Earring Hooks/ Ear Wires – Earring hooks come in various shapes and patterns. They most commonly have a loop at the end to allow attachment of dangles.
Design 1 – Easy Charm Earrings
These first earrings design does not require any special tools. All you need are the supplies below and very easy steps:
- Earring hooks
Here the full video with complete tutorials on how to make these easy charm earrings. And get the full, step by step images and instructions right in the next section below:
- Twist open the small loop of the earring hooks.
- Attach the charm to it.
- Twist the earring hook loop to close.
- Repeat the process to make another earring and and your easy charm earrings are ready.
- You can use this technique to create charm earrings in any pattern or design. Simply choose your favourite charm and make your charm earrings.
- You can also add more than one charm to make your charm earrings. Simply attach both charms to the earring hooks.
Design 2 – Easy pearl earring making for beginners
In this easy beginner earring design, you need to use simple looping techniques. Check out how to make these in the video below. The full supply list and step by step instruction are right below the video.
Here is my video featuring detailed instructions of basic techniques for making this piece of jewelry.
- 2 Earring hooks
- Pink pearl beads (2 beads measuring 12mm in diameter each)
- White pearl beads (2 beads measuring 8mm in diameter each)
- 2 headpins (measuring approximate 35mm in diameter)
- 2 bead caps in gold (measuring 6mm in diameter)
- Round nose plier
Step one: Making the pearl dangles
- Insert the bead cap into the head pin.
- Next, insert the pink bead.
- Follow with a white bead.
- Top the white bead with a bead cap.
- Form a loop with the remaining headpin wire.
- Repeat the process to make the other pearl dangle.
Step 2: Attaching the dangle to the earring hook
- Twist open the loop at the end of the earring hook with a round rose plier.
- Insert the bead dangle.
- Twist the loop of the earring hook close, again with a round nose plier.
- Repeat the process for the other earring to complete the pair.
- Colors of beads and size – These easy earrings can be customized to different bead sizes and colors. Choose any size you like or any color to suit your personal style. You can even use glass beads, wood beads, plastic beads, crystal beads or other decorative beads. All these will make perfect beads for these earrings.
- Earrings length – I made these earrings with 2 pearl beads on each side. If you prefer longer earrings, you can make yours with 3 beads. Just make sure you use a long enough headpin that can fit all 3 beads and still form a loop at the end. And if you prefer shorter earrings, use just one bead. Just remember to cut off the excess wire so that your loop at the end of the dangle is not too big.
- Earring Findings - If you are not a fan of fish earring hooks, simply replace them with any other kind of earring wires you like.
And that's pretty much my easy tutorial on earring making for beginners.
Like these earrings designs? Here are my other easy DIY jewelry projects you might want to check out
- How to Make Pearl Earrings - Easy Handmade Earrings
- DIY Dangle Earrings with Chain - How to Make Your Own Earrings
- How to Make Pearl Drop Earrings
- DIY Seed Bead Earrings - Hoop Earrings
- How to Make Beaded Teardrop Earrings
Happy Crafting and Good Luck 😊