If you are looking for free printable lined papers, this is the right place for you. I have here, free printable lined paper templates of straight lines and dotted lines in different row heights and colors for you to print and use, as many as you like.
These free printable lined paper templates (also often called ruled papers) can be put to a whole lot of good use. You can use them for school projects, as academic papers, to practice handwriting (for creative writing process), for writing out your grocery list or your to-do list. You can also print a stack of these templates and staple them together to make lined notebook.
Each free printable lined paper template comes in PDF format (can be opened with an Adobe reader). All you need to do is click on the printer icon on each template to open the print menu. If you choose the colored line pages, choose color option on your printer settings or menu. Otherwise, you can leave it black and white. Click on the print button to print your free pdf file templates.
What is Lined Paper?
Lined paper (also known as ruled paper) is simply a piece of paper with evenly spaced horizontal lines printed or drawn on it. As simple as it may sound, you can find a wide variety of lined paper in the market.
Most common lined papers or ruled papers come in the form of white paper with fine horizontal lines. The lines are mostly black or blue lines, but you can also find some in other different colors and in dotted line. Some even come with a red vertical line on the side.
Lined paper is often used in schools, colleges, kindergartens and also by professionals for formal write-ups. The lines serve as a guide to write and are perfect to practice handwriting among elementary school children. Lined papers are also great for practicing cursive writing.
Here are the factors you need to consider in choosing the free printables (paper templates):
Different line heights
- The wider the space between each line , the lesser lines you will get on your paper and the narrower the lines, the more lines you will get, which means you can write more on a single piece of paper.
- Wide ruled or lined papers are best for children who tend to write in bigger font sizes as compared to college students and adults. Having said that, wide lined papers are also suitable for people with generally large handwriting, vice versa.
- The free printable paper templates I have on this page are for standard A4 sized sheets of paper.
Color of the lines and style
- Most of the templates on this page come with black lines. I also have some templates in blue lines.
- Some templates come in fine solid lines, while others are drawn in dotted lines and a combination of both.
Types of Lined Paper
Wide lined paper ( wide-ruled paper or legal paper) - these are templates with lines that are 8.7mm apart. In a typical A4 sized paper, you will get approximately 28 lines on a each sheet of paper.
Medium lined paper (medium-ruled paper or College paper) - these are templates with lines that are approximately 7.1mm wide. In a typical A4 sized paper, you will get 37 number of lines on each sheet of paper.
Narrow lined paper (narrow-ruled paper) - these are templates with the most number of horizontal lines. Each line is 6.35mm apart and there are a total of 53 lines on each sheet of paper.
Manuscript paper - There are 2 different types of manuscript paper. The first type is a writing template with groups of 3 lines known as penmanship paper. In this type of manuscript paper, the middle line of each of the group of 3 lines is in dotted form while the remaining top and bottom lines are in straight lines. This paper is perfect for children to practice handwriting. The other type of manuscript paper comes in groups of 5 lines . Also known as music paper, this type of manuscript paper is typically used to draw or write musical notes.
How to choose the free paper printables
As provided above, the printable lined paper templates I have on this page vary by line height, line type and line color and designs. In choosing the templates for printing, make sure you choose the type of template with the correct line height. Here are the free printable writing paper in pdf version for you to download or print directly:
Best type of paper to print the writing paper templates
All the free printable lined paper templates on this page are perfect for printing on blank white paper. You can also print them on themed paper or papers with designs on them.
In printing these paper templates, make sure you choose the correct paper size. Also check your printer setting to match your paper size.
And that's pretty much my free printable lined paper templates for you!
Like this page? Here are my other crafts you might want to check out:
- Origami Koi Fish - How to Make
- How to Make Origami Fish (Paper Fish)
- How to Make Faux Leather Earrings without Cricut
- DIY Dangle Earrings with Chain
- Dotted Lined Paper Templates
- Dove Template Printable (4 Designs)
- Cute Lined Paper Printable (13 Designs)
Happy Crafting 🙂