These gorgeous pair of DIY dangle earrings with chain in gold are made with white pearl beads and long gold chain. These pretty pearl homemade dangle earrings are fairly easy to make and you can make them in under 30 minutes. Get the full video and step by step picture tutorial right below!
These DIY dangle earrings are made using white freshwater pearls and gold colored link chain. The pearls are in circle shapes but slightly flat. Each earring consists of 2 dangles of 3 pearl beads that are attached to 2 long (one shorter than the other) strands of link chain in gold metal. The chains are attached to a jump ring and hooked into a gold earring hook.
Each of these pearl dangle earrings measure approximately 8.25cm long. The width of the pearl dangles are approximately 0.75cm. They are perfect for casual wear as well as any parties.
How to Make the DIY Dangle Earrings
Check out my video tutorial on how to make these pretty freshwater pearl DIY dangle earrings, step by step. The full list of supplies and tools are in the next section below, included step by step images for making these easy handmade earrings.
- 12 white freshwater pearl beads (0.75cm in diameter, 0.5cm depth)
- Gold link chain (2 strands of 7cm)
- 4 gold jump rings ( measuring 0.5cm)
- 2 gold jump rings (measuring 0.7cm)
- 4 gold head pins (measuring 3cm each)
- Round rose plier
- Wire cutter
- Flat nose plier
Step 1: Making the pearl dangles
You will need a total of 4 pearl dangles, with each dangle made up of 3 pearl beads.
- Insert 3 pearl beads into a headpin.
- Push the pearls to the end, bend the wire slightly and cut off approximately 0.75cm of the headpin.
- Form a loop with the headpin wire.
- Repeat the process to make all the 4 pearl dangles.
Step 2: Cutting the chain and attaching it to the jump ring
- Measure the chain and cut out 2 strands measuring approximately 7cm each. Next, you need to insert a jump ring into the chain. To do this, measure the chain to a 4cm mark. Insert a small wire or headpin to help with the marking.
- Open the jump ring (use the larger of the 2 types of jump rings, i.e. the ones that measure 0.7cm in diameter). You can twist the jump ring open with your finger, but if you find it hard, hold the jump ring with the flat nose plier on one hand and the round nose plier on the other hand and twist them the opposite direction to open the jump ring. You need not open it too wide, suffice if it is wide enough to be inserted into the chain.
- Insert the jump ring at the 4 cm mark on the chain. You can remove the headpin or the wire you used to mark the chain earlier.
- Twist the jump ring to close.
Repeat the process for the other side of the earrings pair.
Step 3: Attaching the smaller jump rings and the pearl dangles
Next step is to attach the smaller jump rings and the pearl dangles at the end of each strand of chain.
- Start by opening the jump rings. You can twist them open with your fingers or use the pliers as described in step 2 above. Insert one jump ring on one end of the chain.
- With the jump ring still open, attach one pearl dangle into it as well. Close the jump ring.
Repeat the process for the other end of the chain as well as both ends of the other strand of link chain.
Step 4: Attaching the earring hook
The final step in making these DIY dangle earrings is to attach the earring hook.
- Twist open the larger jump ring attached at the 4cm mark on the chains earlier.
- Insert the earring hook and close the jump ring.
Repeat the same for the other side of the DIY dangle earrings pair. And that completes these making of these gorgeous homemade pearl dangle earrings.
Length of the chain
- The length of the chain used will determine the length of your earrings. I choose to make really long earrings (the finished pearl earrings measure 8.5cm in length), but if you want them to be short, you can always use a shorter wire.
Type of the chain
- I used link chain to make these pearl DIY dangle earrings. The links are large enough for me to easily insert the jump rings.
- If you choose chain with smaller links, do take note to sure the links are large enough to enable the jump rings to be inserted into them.
The metal color
- These handmade pearl earrings are made with gold colored metal. Hence the jump rings, the chains, the headpins and the earring hooks are all in gold.
- If you wish to make these white freshwater pearl earrings in silver or bronze metal, replace accordingly with those colors.
Size and color of the pearls
- These DIY homemade dangle earrings are made using white pearl beads measuring 0.75 in diameter. They are not completely round, and the thickness is only about 0.5cm.
- You can always you round pearls, and can also adjust the size of the pearls used. If you like larger ones or smaller ones, simply change accordingly.
- I used white pearls, and you can replace with any other colors you like.
Count of the pearls
- Each pearl dangle in these DIY dangle earrings consists of 3 pearl beads. you can also choose to increase the number of pearls in each dangle or reduce them to just 2 or 1.
- Any changes to the number of pearls used will have an impact on the length of the earrings.
- I used freshwater pearls, but you can always replace with faux pearl beads to make these long earrings. You can also use any other types of beads to make these DIY dangle earrings.
- I used simple wire hooks, and you can always change the hook to a lever back hoop or studs or any other types of earring hooks you like.
And that's my super easy tutorial on how to make dangle earrings.
Like this DIY dangle earrings tutorial? Here are my other posts you might want to check out:
- Seed Bead Earrings
- Beaded Hoop Earrings
- How to Make Beaded Teardrop Earrings
- Origami Koi Fish - How to Make
Happy crafting 🙂